I have been a fan of The Caffé since 1971, when I saw my first performance there by Michael Cooney. A few years ago I wondered if there were a list of all the performers and when they performed. I found out there is a list of performers, but no dates, so I set out to fix that. Here is the result of my research.
- The format for this list is: yyyy/mm/dd performer appearance number (if any) notes/info about the performer.
- The cases where there is a name in the notes section means that that person/band was the opener.
- Entries highlighted in green mean that I have guessed that this is the correct date based on internal and other evidence.
- Entries highlighted in yellow mean that I have conflicting information on just who appeared on that date.
- Entries highlighted in orange mean that I have a question about full name, spelling, or whether this even happened.
- Entries in quotation marks are, generally, the titles of plays performed at the theater in one of its several versions, followed by the name of the author in parentheses.
- Letters in parentheses after a date indicate days of the week: (M)onday, (T)uesday, (W)ednesday, T(H)ursday, (F)riday, (S)aturday, S(U)nday.
- wsg means “with special guest”.I have done considerable research on this list, and a quick glance over it will show that there are still many dates left blank. If you have information on any of these dates, please send it (with verification) to me at time-ghost(at)hotmail.com, and put Performer Update in the subject line.
If I have misspelled any names, please let me know so that I can correct them. Additions and corrections will be credited.
Please note that this list only covers from the first performance to the end of 2016, when the Caffé returned to its home base after a peripatetic period during renovation.
Many and immense thanks to Sarah Craig and the staff at the Caffé for their help and support with what started off as a personal project, but soon grew into something larger.
Thanks to the website FultonHistory.com, my first source for many of these dates.
Thanks also to the Saratoga Springs Public Library for allowing me to raid and plunder their microfilm library of The Saratogian newspaper files.